A customer asked us to change the configuration of a webserver. This was scheduled for last Wednesday. However, the customer had a scheduling problem and asked us to do it this Wednesday.

Then they called again. “It’s important to us, could you do it on Monday?”

We agreed. This morning they called – Due to illness of several employees they have no resources for the configuration change. Could we please cancel it?

I told our operations guys to hold back for today. Now I just got a call: “Can you please do it Wednesday?”

I politely asked them to make sure whether Wednesday was really okay. Because the constant rescheduling has already caused more work than the configuration change itself.

The guy said he wasn’t so sure and that he would call me back. After he verified the resources for Wednesday.

Update: Now they want Thursday…