Ordered three firewall rules about two weeks ago. Needed them today for a change.

One rule was forgotten by the firewall team (“You didn’t order this, Secretgeek.” – “I did. Email November 13th, 10:11AM.” – “Oh. Yes. Damn.”)

One rule had the wrong port because the department which needed it gave us the port of the old application, and not of the new one.

One rule worked.

The good news: Since they had to fix the first rule anyway, I made them add the second (corrected) one as well.

And the punchline: An hour later the customer of rule 2 called me and told me to switch back to the old backend system as they had problems with the new one. From his description it sounded an awful lot like they forgot some firewall rule.

Advertisements